This is a series of blogs of my everyday events that take place while I am in Mexico.

Monday, April 09, 2007

México - Day 3



Easter Sunday..!
"Día de la Coneja"

It was cold... but at least it wasn't raining..!

We got up not too late, because it was Soccer Sunday...
We had scramble eggs with tomato sauce for breakfast, which we ate during the America/UNAM half time... at that point UNAM (Pumas) was up 1-0...
We watched the game in my Dad's room... It reminded me of when I was younger and I used to go watch World Cup Games at Sport Bars... they were all smoky places..!
The game ended 1-1

After the game, we all got ready and headed out to the downtown area...
First Stop: Plaza Morelos.
It's like The Esplanade in Santa Monica...

We were looking for a birthday present for Luisa - Irene's nice
More about that later...

We walked around...
Saw Spiderman and Elmo, they were taking pictures for $20 Pesos...
I also saw tones of balloon vendors, and a statue that we saw in San Antonio...
Speaking of San Antonio, they are working on a River Walk not too far from there, it should be ready by the Summer.

Anyway, at one end of the "esplanade" they had a booth with "Visitor's Information" and two women were manning the booth... Marco dared me to go and ask for information in English, so I went to talk to them and they were lost... very lost, but she tried..!
At one point one of the ladies gave me a Map of the City, a flier with tour companies (she said they would have someone that spoke English and would give me a City tour in English) she also gave me flier about old Government Palaces, all of them are museums now.
Finally she gave me a nice booklet on things to do during the Spring in Monterrey... it's full of information and cool places to go. I'll take advantage of that one..!

By the way, the downtown streets are not paved... they have bricks... you could see those pictures on my Flickr page.

Plaza Morelos ends on Zaragoza Avenue...
You can find a couple of those Gov. Palaces there...

Across that avenue, you'll find the "Macro Plaza"
Oh wait... while we were there, I saw a "TV Azteca" cameraman and a reporter... I asked them what format they were shooting... she said DVC-Pro, so I asked, 25 or 50..? and she was lost... and then she asked me what we use..?
We..? I said...
yes, in Telemundo..? she asked...
(I forgot that I was wearing my T-48 jean shirt) and then I told her that we use BetaCam SP and that in TVC-TV we use DVC-Pro 25 too.

Macro Plaza homes the Marco Museum, the Municipal Palace, Faro del Comercio, Fuente de la Vida, MTY Cathedral, Teatro de la Ciudad, and much more... including a nice sundial clock.

Anyway, we headed back to the car, and we walked through the Sheraton Hotel, where Irene used to work... across the street from the nice hotel, you can find Club Reno (a men's club) and Maxim's (a ladies bar) all known as "Los Tables" - and they were closed because it was Easter Sunday.

We left Macro Plaza and headed back towards the house...
Our third stop was Gigante (again).
We need to get a bag for the present and a birthday card... but we walked the entire store again..!
My Dad bought some shot glasses... they are BIG shot glasses... and I almost bought some tequila... they have an aisle that one third is full of tequilas and they even have mix drinks in cans...
I was going to buy a Jimador with Squirt, but I forgot it was Sunday, and they don't sell alcohol on Sundays after 12 o'clock. (you'll see pictures of the tequilas on my flickr page)

As we were leaving my Dad bought some Loteria tickets, at the little lotto store next door to Gigante.

We went home to drop off some things we bought at Gigante, and then we took off to the birthday party...
I met two of Irene's sisters, Betty and Lorena... and their husbands and kids...
We had "tacos de picadillo" for dinner there... and some wine... no tequila, I wasn't happy!
We left after a while... Marco and Carlos spent the night there...

We finally made it home sometime around midnight and Irene turned the gas heater on again...
We have to go to bed early because tomorrow we are going to drop off Irene at 9am and then head to the US Consulate.

Coming up next: San LUNES..!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home